Sunday, March 16, 2014

"GET ME OUT OF THIS CHICKEN OUTFIT!"


It's no secret that yer old pal Jerky loves him some comic books. From pumped up adolescent power fantasies to transgressive tales of grisly horror, I love them all. I grew up collecting them, and I've occasionally tried my hand at creating them (keep watching this space for more news on that front). So I feel that I do bring a certain degree of expertise to the table when it comes to my opinion on the quality of these four-color funny books.

Which brings us to today's subject...


Yes, that’s correct; you’ve just watched a video trailer for a comic book. And oh, what a comic book!

With Chicken Outfit, artist/writer Joe Deagnon and co-writer Kirby Stasyna deliver a compelling narrative that is utterly unique in the annals of illustrated comedy. That's because, in the course of sharing with us their tales of modern workplace woe and misery, they actually manage to make some surprisingly astute observations on the grim, existential anomie of Late Capitalist decline... especially for those of us working in the so-called "creative" industries.

Of course, there is a well-established tradition of observational workplace humour. Tales of shitty bosses are a dime a dozen. So what sets this book apart from the fray?

The secret to Chicken Outfit's success, in yer old pal Jerky's considered opinion, is that Deagnon and Stasyna filter their critiques through a unique gonzo kaleidoscope of lurid "grindhouse" exploitation movies and taboo-shattering underground comix, simultaneously exaggerating them and making them more palatable.

But don’t take my word for it. Check out Chicken Outfit for yourself, either by ordering a gorgeous full-colour print copy, or by downloading a digital version to your “iSlab” or your “Kindling” or whatever other ridiculous device the kids are using to peruse their digital medias these days.

Oh, and that ad you see in the upper right hand corner of this page? The one promoting Chicken Outfit? The boys didn't pay for that space. I offered them up that prime hunk of virtual real estate purely because I believe their book deserves promotion. So no, this review is not an example of me whoring out my fat ass for a cupful of ducats.

Not that I’d be opposed to such an arrangement, if you have something that needs promoting and you should be so inclined.

Call me... We’ll talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment